function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vandana rajuvandana raju 

controlled by parent

Hi
I have brief knowledge on OWD and sharing settings.
Please explain how OWD=Controlled By parent  actually works.
what it can impact?

also say OWD=private / public readonly for account object, if I share set of records using sharing criteria to a group of users will they also have
access to related contact , opportunity & cases records?

Thanks
vandana 

Best Answer chosen by vandana raju
Naveen KumarNaveen Kumar
Hi Vandana,
                1-->  OWD--> controlled by parent to determine the OWD access level of child object in MD relationship.It's actually copies the access level of Parent(Master). 
                 2--> Role--> Creation of role we can have a some Properties of if you own a account the related cases,contacts, opportunities (No access, Viewall access, Modifyall access if they account own(Role corresponding users))

Thanks ,
Naveen

All Answers

Naveen KumarNaveen Kumar
Hi Vandana,
                1-->  OWD--> controlled by parent to determine the OWD access level of child object in MD relationship.It's actually copies the access level of Parent(Master). 
                 2--> Role--> Creation of role we can have a some Properties of if you own a account the related cases,contacts, opportunities (No access, Viewall access, Modifyall access if they account own(Role corresponding users))

Thanks ,
Naveen

This was selected as the best answer
rajaraja
Hello Vanda,
Here is the answers for you questions .

OWD=Controlled By parent:

For suppose ,If  "ContactA" is associated with "AccountA" , on AccountA user having edit permission , then user can able to edit "ContactA" .

OWD=private / public readonly for account object

if OWD = Private on account object. if you share couple of records with group of users with read/Wrtte permission they can able to access only account records not related records . 

Regards,
Raja.
vandana rajuvandana raju
Hi raja
can you pls clarify.
A) assume A1 is Master object and B1 is child object in a master detail relationship.
    OWD for A1 is private & OWD for B1 is controlled by parent & user has edit access on A1(custom object).
    so if user shares A1 records with access level=Read/write,  then other users can will be able to edit B1 records

B) How to share B1 records , because OWD is not editable for B1.

Thanks
vandana

Kartikey KulkarniKartikey Kulkarni
Hello All and Vandana raju

Could anyone please let me know :

1) How to share the child records , as there is no option for sharing them and itss showing " CONTROLLED BY PARENT " ?
    Also i dont want to change the MD Relationship and share the records?

Sravanthi SSravanthi S
Hi Vandana Raju and Kartlkey Kulkarnl,
To provide access to child objects which have OWD=Controlled by parent where parent object OWD= Private define the access level on child object(Read,Edit,View All permissions) in profile.
In the above example setup object permissions( for B1) on the profiles on which you want to provide the access.
This way only the users having permission on parent record(A1) will have access to it's child records(B1) as specified(read/edit/viewall) in the profile on object level.

Regards
Sravs
Wayne Kelly 7Wayne Kelly 7
Hi, This is all very interesting and helpful to better understand how it works. 

My scenario is kind of the opposite, i think.

I want to be able to restrict access to the child objects, so the user only sees child records that are in their role heirarchy.

The actual example would be something like this...

User John
User Bill -  seperate role tree branch from  John
User Jane - reports to Bill in role heirarchy

Custom Object called "Agreements", similar to Contracts, with MD to Accounts.

So, Bill creates Account 1 and everyone can see it.
John adds an Agreement linked to Account 1, but Jane isn't allowed to see the Agreement record.

Any ideas how to set this up? I'm kinda stuck.

Many thanks
Wayne

Wayne Kelly 7Wayne Kelly 7
Oh, I did some more playing around and realised that if i remove the MD relationship, and made it a straight lookup instead, then I can set the OWD Sharing Settings to Private with Using Heirarchies enabled on the Agreement object.

It means I'll have to redo my funky reporting to show Accounts with / without agreements, etc. but it fixes the commercial confidentiality issue around corporate Agreements. 
Mukesh Kumar 107Mukesh Kumar 107
Question-1

Please explain how OWD=Controlled By parent  actually works.

Answer:
'Controlled by Parent' optoin in OWD comes in two scenarios:

1. When Parent-Child relationship is set through Master-Detail Relationship. Also, in this case you do not have option to change 'Controlled by Parent'.
- In this case Sharing Setting of Child Object is controlled by Parent

2. In some of the Standard Object's Parent-Child relationship through Lookup you see 'Controleld by Parent' opttion (Custom Object's Parent-Child with Lookup will not have this optoin). 
- In this case Sharing Setting of Child Object is controlled by Parent

Questoin-2

also say OWD=private / public readonly for account object, if I share set of records using sharing criteria to a group of users will they also have
access to related contact , opportunity & cases records?

Answer: They will have access to child records, but different sharing Mechanism as described below:

(1.1) If OWD-Parent = Private & OWD-Child = 'Controlled By Parent', then yes they will have access to related  contact , opportunity & cases records, through Parent Sharing

(1.2) If OWD-Parent = Private & OWD-Child = Other Option, then yes they will have access to related  contact , opportunity & cases records through "ImplicityChild" Sharing

(2.1) If OWD-Parent = Public Readonly & OWD-Child = 'Controlled By Parent', then yes they will have access to related  contact , opportunity & cases records, through Parent Sharing

(2.2) If OWD-Parent = Public Readonly & OWD-Child = 'Other Option', then yes they will have access to related  contact , opportunity & cases records, "ImplicityChild" Sharing
klthawklthaw
(3.1) If OWD-Parent = Private & OWD-Child = 'Private', then no they will not have access to related  contact , opportunity & cases records, through Parent Sharing
(3.2) If OWD-Parent = Private & if child is custom object OWD-Child = default > Controlled By Parent, then yes they will have access to related  custom records, but access level is depend on object permission from their profile.