function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EdCodeEdCode 

Why? The Opportunity record cannot be accessed any more

Could someone please confirm if Salesforce visibility works like in the following example and why? (By "why" I mean could you please explain Salesforce's rational underneath this behaviour?):

See this scenario/example below:
  1. John is the owner of an Opportunity record.
  2. OWD on Opportunity and Account is = Private.
  3. John shares, today, such Opportunity record with Amanda so that she has Read/Write access to that record.
  4. Next week the System Admin transfers John's Opportunity records (including the one shared with Amanda) to another user who is going to be John's successor (because John is moving on to work at another company).
  5. As soon as John stops being the owner of that Opportunity record that he shared, Amanda loses access to that record as well!
Could you please explain why is Salesforce behaving in such a way?
I mean, the fact that John is moving on to work for a different company and that his Accounts/Opportunities are transfered to a different Owner does not mean that Amanda stops being interested in accessing the records that John shared with here.

For a record to continue being manually shared with a user, is it necessary that the Owner who actually shared that record continue being the owner of that record?

Is this documented somewhere in SF Documentation?

Thank you very much.

Best Answer chosen by EdCode
EdCodeEdCode
I just found the answer on SF Documentation (https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=sf.granting_access_to_records.htm&type=5). 

I specifically says "If a user transfers ownership of a record, Salesforce deletes any manual shares created by the original record owner, which can cause users to lose access. When account ownership is transferred, manual shares created by the original account owner on child records, such as opportunities and cases, are also deleted."