function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Karthik jKarthik j 

Why recordtype information is null in before insert trigger

Hi all,

I am trying to access the recordtype name inside the if condition which is written in before insert context of lead record, but whenever I am creating a lead I am getting recordtypeId as null. 

Will recordtypeId is not set in before insert context?

Arun Kumar 1141Arun Kumar 1141

Hi Karthik j,

In the before-insert trigger context, the RecordTypeId of the record will not be available because the data is not saved in the database therefore, you will not be able to access the RecordTypeId in a before-insert trigger. If you want to access the recordtypeId then go with the after trigger.

Please mark this as the best answer if this helps.
Thanks

SubratSubrat (Salesforce Developers) 
Hello Karthik ,

Can you please share the Trigger .

Thank you.
Prateek Prasoon 25Prateek Prasoon 25
In a before insert trigger, the record has not been inserted into the database yet, so the record's ID has not been generated, and the record's fields have not been committed to the database. Therefore, the record type information for that record is not available at that point in time.
Record type information is stored in the RecordType object, which is a metadata object that defines the record type for an object. In a before insert trigger, the record type information is not yet available because the record has not yet been assigned a record type. The record type is usually assigned after the before insert trigger has finished executing, in a separate transaction.
If you need to access the record type information in a before insert trigger, you can use a describe call to get the information from the RecordType object. However, keep in mind that this information will only be available if the record type has already been specified explicitly in the code that is inserting the record. If the record type is being determined dynamically, the information may not be available until later in the transaction.
If you find this answer helpful,Please mark it as the best answer