function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Zain Ahmed 29Zain Ahmed 29 

Profile vs OWD

I have set the profile level security as Read for a particular object and the OWD is Read/Write for that object. As ben told that out of Profile level security and OWD ,the most restrictive one wins. But it doesn't look  the case, even the profile being more restrictive here I am still able to edit the records of that particular object.

Could someone please explain me this in detail.
Best Answer chosen by Zain Ahmed 29
Malika Pathak 9Malika Pathak 9
Hi Zain Ahmed ,

OWD - Controls Record Access.
Sharing Rule - Controls Record Level Access.
Profile - Object Level Access

According to your first question, no the user cannot edit the records for other user ( sharing rule will not be created, will give an error that profile is read-only) . However, they can see each other's record.

See Link: http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/60656/profile-permissions-v-s-org-wide-defaults

Coming to your second question :

Profile works on object and OWD on record ( they are two different things ). 
It won't be a good idea to say that profile overrides OWD. But yes, Profile level permission have a high preference, hence Profile permission will stand.

Consider a case where
OWD - Private
Profile - Read /Write
In this case, the users will not be able to edit each other's records due to OWD being private.

However, in your scenario due to profile access being Read-Only users cannot edit each other's data.

Mark as solved if it helps.

thanks and Regards

Malika Pathak.