function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Anas AlamourAnas Alamour 

grant edit on a new field

I added a new field in the Contact object. There is child object "Program" related to contact object. I have a requirement to grant edit on the new field for any user has ownership for any record of the child object regardless of the contact ownership , sharing rules , role hirachary ,....etc. i mean if the logging user is th e owner of any child record , he can edit the new field in the conatct object even if he is not the owner of the conatct record or above him in the role hircahry .  is that possible by contact permsiisons , validation rule , apex trigger , apex calss , ...etc? 
Omar Rajab 94Omar Rajab 94
Hi Anas, 

Yes it is possible if you create a permission set, and then modify the Field-Level Security of the new field.
for more infos see this reference: https://trailhead.salesforce.com/content/learn/projects/keep-data-secure-in-a-recruiting-app/fls-perm-sets-sharing 

regards,
Omar 
Anas AlamourAnas Alamour
Hi Omar, 
Yes i did that already , but it did not work. The organization-wide defaults for contact object is private. i granted Read and Edit permsiions on the new field in the persmission set. the user profile have edit permssion on the contact object.  When the user is not the owner of th contact or above it in the role hirachary , thre user can not edit this new field. 
Suraj Tripathi 47Suraj Tripathi 47

Hi Anas,

The organization-wide defaults for contact object is controlled by its Parent,if account has the access to read write then it will also get that access.

After creating permission set then you need to modify the Field-Level Security and you need to manage assignment where you will choose that to whom you want to provide that's field accessibility

Please mark it as  Best Answer if it helps!

Thanks