function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nkuriannkurian 

Identifying Data Object vs Metadata Object

Hello, I am trying to backup my salesforce org data using APIs. I only want to backup my data objects. How can I identify what is a data object vs metadata object using API calls? What API/APIs can I use for this and what field/fields can help me make the identification that an object is a data object vs metadata object. 
Vishwajeet kumarVishwajeet kumar
Hi,
It might be good idea to talk to System Administrator of salesforce org or Business Stakeholders to get exact details as objects can be muti-purposed.
When you say data object do you mean business data objects?

Types of objects in salesforce : 
1. Standard Objects - these object can be used to store business data or configuration data.
2. Custom objects - any object with object api name ends with  "__c", these object can be used to store business data or configuration(Custom settings, used for configs).
3. Custom metadata - Used for configuration data, object api name ends with  "__mdt", may contains business data.
4. External objects - data external to salesforce, generated using External data source config., object api name ends with  "__x".
5. Big objects - Used to store archieved business data or other large amount of data, object api name ends with  "__b".

Objects metadata - object api name, Field api names can be extracted using Metadata Api, data using SOAP or Bulk API. i would recommand using Bulk Api for data backup.

Thanks