function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kristina BurnsKristina Burns 

OWD settings are not working like they are supposed to

Hey All,

I've been searching for days for a solution to my problem. All I can seem to find is a couple people having a similar issue with no clear resolution. I set my OWD settings to "Public Read Only" for my accounts object. However, users who are not owners of the accounts can still edit the fields. So I thought ok, lets try setting it to "Private" and just share with a specific user role that has "Read Only" access. I ran into the same problem. The users in that role could still edit the fields on the account. My profile permissions are not set to "View All" or "Modify All." The profile object settings for Accounts are "create, read, edit" only. 

I'm not kidding when I say I've read hundreds of posts about sharing settings and permissions, and I genuinely have no idea what I am missing. And to make sure this wasn't something specific with the accounts object, I ran into the same issue with leads. This is maybe a huge error in my SF org or it is a small setting somewhere else that I have missed.

Please help!

P.S.
I checked the "Sharing Hierarchy" and it is telling me the user should have "Read Only" access...but they don't.
Danish HodaDanish Hoda
Hey Kristina, 
this should not have been the case as SF is known for it's securities and this is something you should raise a case with Salesforce asking for the issue.
By that time, would you mind checking if there is some Apex sharing in place that is giving the users extra permissions?

You can also try querying for better visibility in the Developer console -
SELECT AccountAccessLevel, Id, AccountId, UserOrGroupId, RowCause FROM AccountShare WHERE Id = '<the AccountId you want>'

Alexia SparrowAlexia Sparrow
You need to update the Organization-Wide Defaults area to resolve your problem. When I was writing the reviews on the https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/turninpaper/ site then I also faced this problem so I used this trick to resolve my problem. On this site, you can get writing-related help reviews and choose the services to complete your writing-related tasks.