function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Robert Wambold 10Robert Wambold 10 

Before vs After Update Trigger...your thoughts?

Hello all,

I have a Before Update trigger that is working mostly correct. I have added a custom field to User called Send_Deactivation_Alert__c (SDA).

I want the Admin to check the SDA box when a user has not signed on in a long time. I want my trigger to load 2 other fields when the SDA box is checked.

My problem is as soon as I open the User record the SDA gets checked somehow...is this becuse I am using Before Update?

trigger Load_Custom_User_Fields_Trigger on User (before update) {
for(User u:trigger.new){
    if (u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c=TRUE){ 
      u.Last_Login_for_PB_Flows__c = u.LastLoginDate;
      u.Managers_Email_for_PB_Flows__c =         u.Managers_Email_del__c;
      }
    }
}

Best Answer chosen by Robert Wambold 10
NehaDabas16NehaDabas16
Hi Robert,

I think you just used wrong operator in the if condition :D . if (u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c=TRUE){  , here instead of checking for true you are assigning a true value to Send_Deactivation_Alert__c.

Please use this instead : if(u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c) or if(u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c == TRUE)
Both are same.

​​​​​​​Also this has nothing to do with the before of after trigger, this is just a typo.

Please like and mark as answer if this helps.

All Answers

*** Correction *** When I click on SAVE...u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c gets loaded to TRUE and then u.Last_Login_for_PB_Flows__c and u.Managers_Email_for_PB_Flows__c get updated.

I don't know how or what is setting u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c to TRUE?

NehaDabas16NehaDabas16
Hi Robert,

I think you just used wrong operator in the if condition :D . if (u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c=TRUE){  , here instead of checking for true you are assigning a true value to Send_Deactivation_Alert__c.

Please use this instead : if(u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c) or if(u.Send_Deactivation_Alert__c == TRUE)
Both are same.

​​​​​​​Also this has nothing to do with the before of after trigger, this is just a typo.

Please like and mark as answer if this helps.

This was selected as the best answer

Thank you so much...I just couldn't see the typo!

You are the best!!!