function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Roshan 10Roshan 10 

Is it possible to make a standard field (Case.Status) read only on the UI but user can still update it through a custom button (LWC component)

Hi,

On my case record in community, I want to prevent the user from updating the case by editing the Status field. The user should be able to close the case with the click of a custom button

Appreciate if anyone can provide their ideas

Best Answer chosen by Roshan 10
Santosh Kumar 348Santosh Kumar 348
Hi Roshan,

As you have mentioned it is standrad & required field, so you cannot make it read only or remove it from Page Layout. It is always going to be on layout with editable mode. 
So to tackle this situtation you can have a validation rule which will fire when you are updating the record from UI and you need to bypass the same when updating through apex. For Bypassing it through apex you need to have an extra field created on case which will help you determine that record is changin from UI or Button(Apex/LWC/or through code).

This is very well explained by Bob Buzzard in the below blog :

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.com/2011/11/bypass-validation-rules-from-apex.html

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Santosh Kumar

All Answers

AnudeepAnudeep (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Roshan, 

The LWC will call an Apex controller

Apex generally runs in system context; that is, the current user's permissions, field-level security, and sharing rules aren’t taken into account during code execution. You can try using without sharing

The edit access to the record is determined by the sharing access granted to the user, unless you declare the apex class as without sharing.
Apex executes in system mode so it would override FLS and be able to write to the field.

Roshan 10Roshan 10
Sorry missed one detail. Status is a required field on Case object. So cannot make it read only
Santosh Kumar 348Santosh Kumar 348
Hi Roshan,

As you have mentioned it is standrad & required field, so you cannot make it read only or remove it from Page Layout. It is always going to be on layout with editable mode. 
So to tackle this situtation you can have a validation rule which will fire when you are updating the record from UI and you need to bypass the same when updating through apex. For Bypassing it through apex you need to have an extra field created on case which will help you determine that record is changin from UI or Button(Apex/LWC/or through code).

This is very well explained by Bob Buzzard in the below blog :

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.com/2011/11/bypass-validation-rules-from-apex.html

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Santosh Kumar
This was selected as the best answer