function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jose Boveda 10Jose Boveda 10 

Data Import Wizard sending email attachments with sensitive data

Hi folks,

Having a data security issue which I'm curious if others have run into. The Data Import Wizard in Salesforce will send out an email notification with any failures. If users are loading sensitive data into the tool (say, data that shouldn't go over email), Salesforce still sends that email out from the Data Import Wizard.

There is currently no way to disable this email short of disabling all emails coming out of your ORG. 

My question is: how have other people solved the problem of the Data Import Wizard sending sensitive data through email when loading failures occur?

Any help/opinions are appreciated!

J
ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jose,

Greetings!

I don't think this is an issue here as the Email sent you helps you to fix the errors on the records which are failed.The emails will be sent to the administrator who has access so you do not need to worry about those.

Reference:https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=essentials_data_import_fix_errors.htm&type=5

If this is considerable then I would suggest you to go with the other import tools.

Kindly mark it as best answer if it helps so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri

Jose Boveda 10Jose Boveda 10
Hi Shirisha,

Thanks for your reply. The email goes out to whomever loads the data using Data Import wizard. Who the email goes to is less of an issue than the data going over email altogether. 

There are classes of information that, by policy, cannot go over email. The fact that Salesforce doesn't allow these emails to be shut off means that we cannot use Data Import Wizard to load those classes of data. That seems like a major oversight and a limit to the data that can be loaded in Salesforce, and I don't think Salesforce highlights that problem. Hence why I wanted to highlight it and see what others think and have done in this situation.

Thanks again and look forward to your reply,
Robin Davis 5Robin Davis 5
Yes, I have just suffered the same. This is such a basic security feature: ANY data imported (or attempted to be imported) should, by default, NEVER be emailed out.

There is no warning that this might happen or anything. Why would you send an email when you can just add a notification in the app?

Is there a setting to turn this rather stupid 'feature' off?
シン キソブシン キソブ

Seems like an idea was submitted for this.

Disable Sending an email notification when using the Data Import Wizard (https://ideas.salesforce.com/s/idea/a0B8W00000KuAJPUA3/disable-sending-an-email-notification-when-using-the-data-import-wizard)