function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris Collier 6Chris Collier 6 

Tags, topics, etc.

We are about to invest a lot more time into email marketing (via Active Campaign) and they want us to leverage more tags to do segmentation in the automated journeys. My end users have also asked for tags so we can group clients geographically and other ways.

I looked into this a bit and it appears that a) Tags don't work in Lightning and b) Salesforce is pushing Topics to be used instead of tags. However, I can't find that you can report on Topics (e.g. find all Contacts with tag x or without tag y).

The way around this is to create a custom picklist field, which can be reported on. I don't love this solution because the picker can get a little unwieldy when you have a lot of tags. It also doesn't allow users to create new tags on the fly. I really like the Topics component interface - it's super clean and easy to see at a glance - but really don't like that you can't report on it.

Before I implement this, does anyone know if I'm missing anything? Is there one way or another that other people are going? TIA.
SubratSubrat (Salesforce Developers) 
Hello Chris ,

To answer your question, currently, there is no way to report on topics in Salesforce. Topics are designed to be a lightweight way to categorize records and facilitate collaboration, while tags are more flexible and allow for more granular categorization.

If reporting on topics is a critical requirement for your use case, then using a custom picklist field may be the best solution for now. However, as you mentioned, it does have some limitations, such as not allowing users to create new tags on the fly.

One alternative you may want to consider is using a third-party app or integration that provides more robust tag management and reporting capabilities. There are several options available on the Salesforce AppExchange, such as Tagging by Salesforce Labs or Tag Manager by Elements.cloud.

Ultimately, the best solution will depend on your specific use case and business requirements. It may be worth discussing your options with other Salesforce users or a Salesforce consultant to get their input and recommendations.

Thank you