function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Wm Peck 1958Wm Peck 1958 

Need Architecture options for pulling data from Salesforce, to retrieve datasets

My perspective is traditional RDBMS (Oracle), and retrieving data with a reporting tool like Business Objects or straight SQL Nothing too fancy, just dump to Excel. But JOINing a lotta tables.

We're migrating to SF but our analytics team still needs to pull all manner of data. Right now using SOQL using Workbench - this is painful imo.

Einstein doesn't seem like the right tool for us. It's set up for fancy dashboards and such, but that's not what we need to do.

SOQL is extremely limited imo. For example, I have two healthy queries that each "join" to several other tables. But I want to JOIN my two healthy tables, in the same manner one could JOIN to VIEWS fom Oracle. 

I don't think standard Salesforce reporting is going to work, although I haven't tried it out. But it just not seem like the way to do all of our reporting (data pulls).

For example, SOQL doesn't have logical LEFT JOINs, as I understand it. Say I have student(contacts), applications, and sports recruiting. In Oracle, I would start with STUDENTS, then LEFT JOIN to both applications and sports recruting. 

But in SOQL, it looks to me like you START with the "leaf" (sports recruiting), then work you way to the branch (applications) and THEN to the "root" (STUDENTS).
- so you wouldn't be able to count the number students with no applications, and the number of students with no sports recruiting.

So my only architecture option is to suck the data out of SF into a traditional RDBMS and then JOIN everything (normally)?

Hope this makes sense.

ANUTEJANUTEJ (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Wm,

Have you tried checking Data loader or data export?

>> I found this article that you can try checking:  https://marcloudconsulting.com/sf-basics/extract-data-from-salesforce

Let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as solved so that it can help others in the future.  

Thanks.
Wm Peck 1958Wm Peck 1958
Thank you, this is helpful.

But before I close this out, I have to ask - am I wrong to think Salesforce sucks in regards to "data analytics"? In other words, with Oracle, I could write all manner of fancy SQL (to include Oracle ANALYTIC functions), I could JOIN as many dang tables as I like, and I could ultilize this with a direct connection from tools like Oracle Discoverer, Business Objects, Tableau, etc.?

So my question was "architecture", and your response is export the data? Is that really the only way to do analysis in Salesforce?

As mentioned, Einstein doesn't seem like the right tool for us. It's set up for fancy dashboards and such, but that's not what we need to do.

But thanks!