function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Michael MMichael M 

Is there a way to make a picklist option to enter free text in a vf page?

Best Answer chosen by Michael M
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Michael,

I don't think this is possible.  However, I found below reference that might help you.

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/11960/picklist-selected-value-auto-populate-to-textbox-in-visualforce-page

Thanks,

All Answers

VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Michael,

I don't think this is possible.  However, I found below reference that might help you.

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/11960/picklist-selected-value-auto-populate-to-textbox-in-visualforce-page

Thanks,
This was selected as the best answer
Michael MMichael M
Hi Vinay, thank you for your response. Here is my VF snippet: I am trying to render the "Addition Notes" input text only if on the Category picklist, the "other" option is selected. However it is not working. Is that possible? What would I need to change in my code?

<apex:outputPanel styleClass="custPopup" layout="block" rendered="{!displayPopUp}">
              <b><u>Equipment Request</u></b> 
                <br/>
                Before submitting this request, please verify this referral information is correct: 
                <br/>
                <br/> <b> Name: </b>  {!lead.name}
                <br/><b> Facility: </b>  {!lead.facility__r.name}

<br/> <b> Category: &nbsp; </b>   <apex:selectList size="1" value="{!country}">
                                <apex:selectOptions value="{!countries}"/>
                                <apex:actionSupport event="onchange" reRender="a,bbb"/>
                                </apex:selectList>  
                <br/> <b> Size: &nbsp; </b>  <apex:selectList size="1" value="{!state}" id="a">
                                              <apex:selectOptions value="{!states}"/>
                                                </apex:selectList>
                <br/>

<apex:outputPanel id = "bbb" rendered="country == 'Other'">
                       <br/> <b> Additional notes:</b>  <apex:inputText style="height:30px;" value="{!freeText}" /> 
            </apex:outputPanel>