function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Team SaadhviTeam Saadhvi 

ERROR : portal users cannot own partner accounts

Hi Team, 

I am facing issue "portal users cannot own partner accounts" but actually i am using customer portal and when i am creating a new contact record in customer portal geting this error.
I build the lightning page and in the page i have the create contact botton once i save the rec it showing the error message below is the screen shot for reference.

User-added image
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

This error message is confusing. Basically, the system will prevent portal users from owning contacts that are linked to any kind of account, according to this knowledge article: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000004491&language=en_US&type=1 (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000004491)

When you try to enable an Account as a Partner Account and any of the contacts associated with that account are owned by a Partner User, you would receive this error message. If Partner Account enabling was allowed to go through successfully in such a scenario, it could result in Partner Users owning Partner Contacts which is not allowed by design.

The only way to enable the Account as a Partner Account, when this situation is encountered, is to update the ownership of the associated Contacts so that they are owned by internal, non-Partner Users.

The only way for you to avoid the error is to use a before insert trigger to change the contact ownership to an internal Salesforce license user.

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.
Team SaadhviTeam Saadhvi
HI Abhishek, Actually i am using customer potal user not partner user, not sure why i am getting portal error message, ererything i setup the customer portal only.
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
If the above information is not helpful.

I would request you to raise a case with Salesforce support because I have seen these errors previously and resolved by the salesforce support team.

Something from the backend is causing this issue.

Please reach them to get accurate information.

Thanks.