function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Venus Clarke 6Venus Clarke 6 

Add an External ID on the Account from a Related Object

Hello,

I am trying to understand how to resolve a data migration issue between a system named CDK and Salesforce. The code is setup to push a custom object entitled "DMS Numbers" to Salesforce. The code is supposed to either located an existing Account Records and related that DMS Number to the Account. If there is no existing Account, it is supposed to create a new Account. However, the code is creating duplicate Accounts. In order to stop these duplicate Accounts, the developer who wrote the code says we must used the CustNo from the DMS object, as an external ID on the Account record to ensure an exact match going forward. 

I have some knowledge of Salesforce External IDs, but I am not sure how to make this CustNo an External ID on an Account. Can you assist?

Here are some notes from the developer:

"If there are other fields on the DMS Number record to find a match that is HIGHLY encouraged.  CustNo is an external ID on the DMS object, can this same value be used     on Accounts?  And make it an external ID? It's not there today, but can it?"
SwethaSwetha (Salesforce Developers) 
HI Venus,

Text, number, e-mail can be flagged as external IDs.If the field CustNo qualifies to be an external Id, you should be able to see a checkbox as shown in the image to make it external Id (Clickpath in Lightnign experience: Setup>  object manager>Fields &relationships> Select  and edit the field CustNo > See general options related list)

User-added image

Related: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000325076&language=en_US&type=1&mode=1

Hope this helps you. Please mark this answer as best so that others facing the same issue will find this information useful. Thank you