function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matthew O'KeefeMatthew O'Keefe 

link task and lead

Hello all,

I am trying to find a way to link a field from a Lead object into a Task object. We have setup timezones for out Leads, and we would like the system to automatically populate into the Tasks, so that our employees know the relative time of our clients when looking at their tasks for today.

When I look in object manager, I dod not see a method of adding a formula or reference from Lead to Task, and a recent support engineer mentioned to ask here, as this may be an impossible request. We have an option to have the Time Zone appear for Tasks, but there is no reference to pull in data, so it is always empty.

Any suggestions or clarifications on the limitations would be appreciated.

Lead Time Zone FieldTask Time Zone
Best Answer chosen by Matthew O'Keefe
Bryan Leaman 6Bryan Leaman 6
If I'm understanding correctly, we've done something similar for Accounts by creating our own Account lookup field on the Activity Object (events & tasks). You could create a Lead lookup field instead, then use flow to populate it from the tasks' "WhoId" field *if* it's a lead record Id.  At that point you can create formula fields on the task (Activity object) to pull in information like the timezone from the lead record.

All Answers

Bryan Leaman 6Bryan Leaman 6
If I'm understanding correctly, we've done something similar for Accounts by creating our own Account lookup field on the Activity Object (events & tasks). You could create a Lead lookup field instead, then use flow to populate it from the tasks' "WhoId" field *if* it's a lead record Id.  At that point you can create formula fields on the task (Activity object) to pull in information like the timezone from the lead record.
This was selected as the best answer
Matthew O'KeefeMatthew O'Keefe
For anyone in the future, what I did what essentially follow Bryan, but skip a few steps. In a flow for updating our tasks, I set a update record trigger to set the Time Zone field in our Task to have a value of a variable set to "Lead > TimeZone". By creating a variable, I was able to pull in the Lead's TZ. 
Tom Roger 1Tom Roger 1
Is there any other substitute to execute this problem?