function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NerijusNerijus 

intellectual property, copyright laws

Hi all,

do anyone have any experience on Salesforce app exchange regarding intellectual property or copyright laws?

If I create a product which has similar functionality as Salesforce or other companies product on app exchange, can I get in legal trouble for that?

I don't mean to copy the product, but some products will have to have similar functionality as some other already developed tools on sale.

Is there any specific line that you can't cross in regards of this?

Just want to hear your opitions, and maybe you can share some resources?

Appreciate all of your thoughts!

Best Answer chosen by Nerijus
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
This will be taken care internally with compliance, legal along with security team to review.  Let's say if you have copied  'ABC' appexchange with similar components like 2 apex classes, 3 LWC components, 1 trigger, and 4 objects along with fields.

Internal team will review all components which you have submitted and you might be questioned or informed you are making copy of ABC appexchange tool, when you have review meeting with appexchange team once you submit required checklist.

Also before it is released on appexchange there would be good checking process to make sure no tools has similar code logic along with same component lists.

There is no separate mentioned line, as this is taken care and part of ISV business approval plan.

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

All Answers

Hi Nerijus,

There is no special process regarding intellectual property or copyright laws.

After your Business Plan is submitted, you will enter compliance review process. The compliance process is our internal legal review to ensure that every solution and AppExchange ISV partner meets the highest standard of trust.

This process can take several weeks and AppExchange ISV team will need to validate all the information provided in your solution documentation. You will hear directly from the AppExchange ISV team during this milestone

https://www.appexchangeguides.com/e/isv-onboarding-guide-jcvehuiiqzjsr/dR9yYI4U7?hub=partner-community-5e70a5780bf97
https://trailhead.salesforce.com/content/learn/modules/isv_security_review/isv_security_review_submit

Next Steps in Onboarding
  • Execution of Partner Application Distribution Agreement
  • Security Review
  • Partner Business Org Activation & Setup of ISV tools
  • Launch on the AppExchange!
https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=000391775&type=1

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,
NerijusNerijus
Hi Vinay,

Thank you very much for your reply!

But I mean if I copy the product 1:1 and try to release it on appexchange, will I be able to do that?
If not I'm wondering, where is the line?

Thanks
This will be taken care internally with compliance, legal along with security team to review.  Let's say if you have copied  'ABC' appexchange with similar components like 2 apex classes, 3 LWC components, 1 trigger, and 4 objects along with fields.

Internal team will review all components which you have submitted and you might be questioned or informed you are making copy of ABC appexchange tool, when you have review meeting with appexchange team once you submit required checklist.

Also before it is released on appexchange there would be good checking process to make sure no tools has similar code logic along with same component lists.

There is no separate mentioned line, as this is taken care and part of ISV business approval plan.

Hope this helps...

Thanks,
This was selected as the best answer
NerijusNerijus
Thank you Vinay,

last question, while I have you here :)
Am I leagaly allowed to copy ABC app apex logic, custom fields, objects internaly in my business without going to the market to sell it?
The above answer will be marked as the best answer.

Thanks
Yes, if you have access to apex logic and if package provider is willing to share you custom logic and component details.

Generally you wont be having access to components which are part of managed package. Mean you wont be able to see any logic code behind the component.

Thanks,
NerijusNerijus

That's not what I meant.

Just as an example: if I copy some of the Salesforce CPQ features, like product price calculations, price rule object, product rule object and logic behind it (obviously I will be guessing the logic behind it), but I would be copying an idea for the features.

Thanks

You are free to implement custom logic in your org something like product price calculations etc., having your own custom components.

Thanks,