function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris Johnson 172Chris Johnson 172 

term dates

A lot of our dates and activities relate to three terms in the school year.
The start and end dates of the terms vary from year to year.
In reports I need to be able to identify an activity as falling within one of the five following timeframes:

before last term
last term
this term
next term
after next term

Each of these time frames will have a start date and end date
Where can I store these dates so that they can be accessed in formulae in custom fields?

Ideally I want just one copy that all custom fields and reports can reference so that when I update them at the start of each term every report automatically uses the new values.
Shri RajShri Raj
There are a few ways you could store these term dates so that they can be accessed in formulae in custom fields:
Custom Setting: Create a custom setting to store the start and end dates of each term. This would allow you to easily update the dates at the start of each term and have them automatically referenced by all custom fields and reports.
Custom Metadata Type: Similar to custom setting, you could create a custom metadata type to store the term dates. This would also allow you to update the dates easily and have them automatically referenced by all custom fields and reports.
Custom Object: Create a custom object to store the term dates. You would then create a relationship between the custom object and any other objects that need to reference the term dates. This would also allow you to update the dates easily and have them automatically referenced by all custom fields and reports.
Custom field on a standard Object: Add a custom field on a standard object (e.g. the school year object) to store the term dates. This would also allow you to update the dates easily and have them automatically referenced by all custom fields and reports.