function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jewels GutowskiJewels Gutowski 

Cross Object Field Dependency with Picklists

I am trying to create a field dependency where the Opportunity field: Sector has drop down options that are dependent on the Account field: Industry (Group). We attach Opportunities to Accounts so this would be helpful.

On the Account Object, I have 2 fields:

• Industry - Picklist
  • Industry (Group) - Picklist with field dependency controlled by Industry

On the Opportunity Object, I have 1 field:

• Sector - Multipicklist
I would like the Sector multipicklist on the Opportunity Object to display options depending on what the Industry (Group) field on the Account Object is.

Can anyone help me with this?
Mary FieldsMary Fields

A cross-object field dependency with picklists is a feature in Salesforce that allows you to create a relationship between two objects by using a picklist field. It enables you to control the values of a picklist field in one object based on the value of a picklist field in another related object.

To create a cross-object field dependency with picklists, you need to:
Create a picklist field in the parent object and add the desired values.
Create a picklist field in the child object and add the desired values.
Create a lookup relationship between the parent and child objects.
Create a custom field on the child object and select the parent object in the "Related To" field.
Create a dependent picklist field on the child object that references the picklist field in the parent object.

Once you have set up the cross-object field dependency with picklists, the picklist values in the child object will change based on the value selected in the parent object's picklist field. This can help ensure data consistency and reduce errors, making it easier to manage related records in Salesforce.

Thanks,

https://www.wellcaremedicare.net/

Jewels GutowskiJewels Gutowski
Hi,
I thought Accounts and Opportunities already had an existing lookup relationship because they are standard Salesforce objects.

When I go to create a field dependency between the two multi select picklists (Account field: Industry Group as the Controlling Field and Opportunity Field: Sector as the Dependent Field) the Account field is not appearing in the Controlling field drop down and vice versa.

Do you know why this is happening?
Sunil KhuwalSunil Khuwal
This don't seem to work yet with the cross object reference picklist.
Can any please assist or provide any alternative