function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Trent HurlbutTrent Hurlbut 

Connecting my account to my company's account

Hello!

I recently created a free developer account in order to try and create a connected app for the organization I work for to interact with the Salesforce API and automatically populate leads for their SF account based on information users submit in our app.

I'm unable to get an auth token to start interacting with the SF API, and I think it is because I am not fully connected to their account and do not have the correct permissions set up. How would I get my account connected to theirs and set up with proper permissions?

Thank you!

Naveen KNNaveen KN
why are connecting the free/developer edition to your company sandbox? 
Naveen KNNaveen KN
why are we connecting the free/developer edition to your company sandbox? 
I'm trying to create a connected app on behalf of my organization. Am I able to connect this free account that I have in order to do that, or does my company have to create an account for me under their organization?
Naveen KNNaveen KN
We use developer edition only for learning or doing any complex pocs before implementing it in the company sandbox. you have to create a connected app in the company sandbox given. Get a user created for your profile in the dev sandbox (company) and create connected app in that. 
Great! Thank you!
So just to be clear @Naveen: is this something I need a paid account for?
Naveen KNNaveen KN
It's like this, Consider I work for Company x

Company x pays for salesforce and gets an unlimited version of salesforce where we can create Prod, UAT, SIT, and Dev sandboxes 

All the developers working on any project(development) in the company x can create their free profile in Dev sandboxes and start developing

Not sure whether your company is already associated to salesforce 

My company is already associated with salesforce and has a paid account, the problem is I don't think the free development account I created is associated with that company (since I created it outside of that company account). It sounds like I will have to have my developer account created form within the organization in order for it to be associated with the organization, is that right?
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Exactly!
Ah ha. Thank you again for all your useful answers! I'm completely new to this, so I apologize if it took a while to get ther :)
Naveen KNNaveen KN
No problem at all Trent. Happy to share!
Good luck with your implementations. 

One (hopefully) last question: the company I work for will need to have a "Sandbox (Developer Pro)" subscription in order for developer accounts created within the organization to interact in the company's sandbox environments, set up connected apps, and interact with SF's API. Is that correct? I don't believe my company is at that subscription level yet, so I'm double checking to make sure before I advise us purchasing it.
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Yes, developer or developer pro sandboxes are for development which comes with lesser limits. I think you are working on a brand new implementation, your company has to get in touch with Salesforce to buy the required editions and licenses.