function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SK_SFSK_SF 

Which org(Production or Sandbox) do I need to use to authorize a Dev hub?

I'm trying to get started with salesforce DX. And I checked with sandbox and I dont see any option to enable a Dev Hub.

Can anyone please help me on this?

Best Answer chosen by SK_SF
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Yes you can use production and create scratch org to build up any custom implementations, else if you are looking to explore try to spin up new developer edition and authorize dev hub.

Note: Once you enable Dev Hub you cannot disable it.

Hope this helps...

Thanks

All Answers

Hi SK,

You can’t enable Dev Hub in a sandbox.  Check below reference which has details on Enable Dev Hub Features in Your Org.

https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=sf.sfdx_setup_enable_devhub.htm&type=5

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,
SK_SFSK_SF
Hi Vinay,

Thank you. I already checked that reference document, but I am confused in the credentials. So my question is which orgs Username and password do I need to use to authorize a Dev Hub?

In that document they have explained we need to use either developer org or Production org and we dont have developer org for our project so is it ok if I use production org.
Yes you can use production and create scratch org to build up any custom implementations, else if you are looking to explore try to spin up new developer edition and authorize dev hub.

Note: Once you enable Dev Hub you cannot disable it.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
This was selected as the best answer
SK_SFSK_SF
Hello Vinay,

Thank you for the information.

So there is no any risk to use production credentials to authorize dev hub right? as we don't have developer edition org for our project.

Enabling Dev Hub in a production or business org is completely safe and won’t cause any performance or customer issues.  

You can go ahead and enable in production,  also you can try 30 days trail org if needed.

https://developer.salesforce.com/promotions/orgs/dx-signup

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,