function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kjunkjun 

Validation Rule set when a Picklist value is selected on record save

I have a picklist named Radical__c on the contact object. 

I want to allow user to be able to convert a lead record and allow the user to leave the picklist NULL on lead conversion.

However, I want the Radical__c picklist field to be required IF the user attempts to save the new contact record IF the picklist is other than NULL. The picklist at this point must have a value before the contact record is saved. 

Is a validation rule best in this scenario? IF so, what would the syntax look like? Thank you

Best Answer chosen by kjun
AnkaiahAnkaiah (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

try with below validation rule.
AND(ISNEW(),ISBLANK(Radical__c))

If this helps, Please mark it as best answer.

Thanks!!

All Answers

AnkaiahAnkaiah (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

try with below validation rule.
AND(ISNEW(),ISBLANK(Radical__c))

If this helps, Please mark it as best answer.

Thanks!!
This was selected as the best answer
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
Hi kjun,

If I understood correctly you requirement
  • Radical__c field is not required for lead conversion and New Contact created through lead conversion without Radical__c value is acceptable.
  • Radical__c field is required, either user create a new Contact or update an existing Contact manually.
Please confirm the understanding.

Regards.
kjunkjun
@Ankaiah I had to slightly modify your suggested syntax slightly by adding TEXT() since Radical__c is a picklist field but it works: 
AND(ISNEW(),ISBLANK(TEXT(Radical__c)))
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
As per you details you mentioned

I want to allow user to be able to convert a lead record and allow the user to leave the picklist NULL on lead conversion.

I guess that validation may give you an issue if the new contact created through lead conversion.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards.