function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KRISHNAMURTHY ANANTHARAMAKRISHNANKRISHNAMURTHY ANANTHARAMAKRISHNAN 

Integrations with external systems

Hi dev folks, I’m a new to Salesforce integration. I need some guidance on how to perform integrations with third party systems using Salesforce and to also know the different methods of integrations. I know the basics of integration.

The problem that I face now is that say if I wanted to connect LinkedIn with Salesforce. I look through the API guide of LinkedIn, then I try it in postman. Then, I try to make the callout using apex. But sometimes I struggle when there is authentication and I don't know how to authenticate and fetch the data.

The reason why I need to get familiar with integration is because my project uses a lot of integration and sometimes I don't understand what they are talking about. For example, recently there was a conversation about JWT, inbound and outbound integration etc. which I have no idea about.

I would appreciate if you can give me an overview or guidance as to where I should start and then move on to advanced concepts. It would also be great if you could list down the steps that I need to understand before I start with integrating with external systems. Also, I would really appreciate if you could provide me hands on exercise to practise and sharpen my skills.

Sai PraveenSai Praveen (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi KrishnaMurthy,

Please find the below link which gives you clear understanding of Salesforce integration with external system.

https://www.apexhours.com/salesforce-integration-with-external-system-interview/

In additional to that you can use platform events and Oauth concepts to integrate and authentication to salesforce.

Let me know if you face any issues.

If this solution helps, Please mark it as best answer.

Thanks,
Hi Sai,

The resource is great. But I am looking for a walkthough of the steps or the process of how integration is done. What are the different things that we need to consider? Can you list down the steps based on yout experience and demonstrate with an example?
Sai PraveenSai Praveen (Salesforce Developers) 

Hi KrishnaMurthy,

Can you check the below RestAPI integrtaion example step by step. 

https://www.veonconsulting.com/salesforce-rest-api-explained/

We may use the apex classes and other system based on the type of integration we use.

From your experience, can you demonstrate with an example in simple steps? For example, integration to google drive or something with authentication and describe the auth protocols, callout etc?