function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Administrator 167Administrator 167 

How to retrieve data a user copy/pasted in a textarea custom field ?

Hello everybody,

I need to set up the following process:

- In a textarea custom field of Object x, a user should be able to copy-paste a kind of Server list (kind of XX12yA;XX12yB;XX12yC;XX12yD)

- Once pasted in the text custom field and Saved, the data (server list) should be processed in order to retrieve infos (as an example for a Server: IP Address, Application involved, version, updates...) stored in another Object y which does not has any lookup to the first Object x. 

- Those retrieved infos are then to be displayed in another custom field of the Object x to which the textarea belong to, for further customer treatment.

Has someone already created such a process ?

Thanks  for your ideas !
ayu sharma devayu sharma dev
Hello 

Please provide the following info:

- Does Object y have separate fields for each information given in the textarea? I assume information is separated by the ";".
- Does the order of information which is separated by the semicolon is always remain the same.
- Do you want to display data on Object X in different fields or just one field?

please provide this info so we can proceed further. 

Regards
Ayush Sharma
- Does Object y have separate fields for each information given in the textarea? I assume information is separated by the ";".
Here is the corresponding data between Object x (text area) and Object y (infos to retrieve)

Object x Text area : XX12yA
Object y Server Instance : Name : XX12yA
                                           Application involved: Word, Adobe...
                                           IP Address: xx.xx.xx
                                           Last update: xx.xx.xxxx
                                           Regional setting: US, Asia...
Object x Text area : XX12yB
Object y Server Instance : Name : XX12yB
                                           Application involved: XY, YZ...
                                           IP Address: xx.xx.xx
                                           Last update: xx.xx.xxxx
                                           Regional setting: Fr, Asia...

- Does the order of information which is separated by the semicolon is always remain the same.
Yes

- Do you want to display data on Object X in different fields or just one field?
Different fields, as it will be then processed for different purpose (as an example: Applications involved with server XX12yA will impact users of USA region; Applications involved with server XX12yB will impact users only working week 2 and 5...)

Thank you! 
ayu sharma devayu sharma dev
Hello

One more question, So there can be multiple values of Server code like XX12yA in a single TextArea field on a single record separated by the semicolon? If yes then Which one are you going to choose to show values on fields of Object X?

Regards
Ayush Sharma
For now, that's the biggest issue I am facing. 

Are those values to be read by some apex code using a loop ? If yes, how is it possible ?

I have no experience on this, hence my hypothesis and questions...

Thanks,