function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Donald HurseyDonald Hursey 

Using field set from related object to display field values on visualforce page

I have a request to create a visualforce page to be used as a sub tab to display field values from a related object. I am using the code below but received the error "System.SObjectException: SObject row was retrieved via SOQL without querying the requested field: Equipment__c.Leasing_Company__c"

What am I missing in my extension or vf page? I'm not sure if this is the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do so any suggestions would be helpful.

<apex:page standardController="Equipment__c" extensions="AgreementExtV2" lightningStylesheets="true"> 

<apex:pageBlock id="agrDetails" title="Agreement Details">

<apex:repeat value="{!$ObjectType.Agreements__c.FieldSets.Lease_Agreement}" var="f">
      <option value="{!$ObjectType.Agreements__c.Fields[f].localname}">{!$ObjectType.Agreements__c.Fields[f].label}</option>     
      <apex:outputField value="{!Equipment__c[f]}"/>      
     </apex:repeat>

</apex:pageBlock>                
</apex:page>

public class AgreementExtV2 { 
public List<Agreements__c> agreement{get; set;} 
public List<Equipment__c> currentRecord{get; set;}

public AgreementExtV2(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
     currentRecord = [SELECT Id FROM Equipment__c WHERE Id = :ApexPages.currentPage().getParameters().get('id')];  
	 agreement = [SELECT Id, Leasing_Company__c, Lease_ID__c, Lease_Exp_Date__c, Lease_Type__c, Leased_Amount__c, Lease_Rate__c, Lease_Term__c, Lease_Payment__c, Equipment__c FROM Agreements__c Where Equipment__c = :currentRecord]; 
	} 
}

Ram Chand HeerekarRam Chand Heerekar
Hi Donald,

if you are using master-detail or lookup you need to use '__r' 
David Zhu 🔥David Zhu 🔥
In the field set Lease Agreement, it has field Lease_Company__c included. But in the query, it does not have such field.
You may change the query by adding the field:

agreement = [SELECT Id, Leasing_Company__c, Lease_ID__c, Lease_Exp_Date__c, Lease_Type__c, Leased_Amount__c, Lease_Rate__c, Lease_Term__c, Lease_Payment__c, Equipment__c,Lease_Company__c FROM Agreements__c Where Equipment__c = :currentRecord];
Donald HurseyDonald Hursey
Hi Ram, I changed it in the output field and got an unknown property error on save. "Unknown property 'TSGADX__Equipment__cStandardController.TSGADX__Equipment__r'" Is that where the __r would be needed?
Ram Chand HeerekarRam Chand Heerekar
Hi Donald,

__r should be used in query. Hope this explanation helps you

__r represents a custom relationship. There are two uses for __r. We use it when we query a custom relationship from child to parent, or from parent to child.
For example, if you have two custom objects, called Service__c and Service_Line__c, where the Service Line has a field that references a Service as its parent, you can query from child to parent, or parent to child.
The child to parent relationship query looks like this:
SELECT Id, Service__c, Service__r.Name FROM Service_Line__c
While the parent to child relationship looks like this:
SELECT Id, Name, (SELECT Id, Name FROM Service_Lines__r) FROM Service__c
To access parent and children records in Apex Code, you'd use the same syntax:
Service_Line__c line = [select ... from service_line__c where ...]; if(line.service__r.name == 'Master Service') { // Do something } Service__c service = [select ... from service__c where ...]; for(Service_Line__c line:service.Service_Lines__r) { // Do something }
Each mechanism has a specific purpose depending on your intent.