function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Keith Stephens 18Keith Stephens 18 

change case number from auto number to text?

Hello all,
I believe this is a standard field and not a custom field, what I want to do is to be able to change "Case number" from an auto number to a text number in my sandbox, so I can import some cases and keep the same ID's.  When I import my cases because of the auto number my links to contacts, ect.. are broken.

I have read various articles and they say:
1. Click on Your Name | Setup | Build | Customize | Object Name | Fields
2. Click Edit next to the Auto-Number field you want to modify
3. Change the Display Format and Next Number you want to be displayed for your records. And click Save.
4. You will receive a pop-up with the following message: “This may result in duplicate number. Are you sure?”
5. Click OK.

But I do not see a way to edit the field type, nor what Display Format to use.
Thanks,
K
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
With the above approach you can able to reset the case number and not able to make it as text fileds ..   

If you want text filed i can suggest to create a new Custom fileds .. 

SabrentSabrent
You are right, it is a standard field not a custom field.
You can't change the Data Type of a standard field. 

The 'various articles' you read have given steps to change the data type of custom fields. 
Since you are on the topic,a word of caution - in future if you come across a situation, remember to  always backup your data before changing data type on a custom field. 
david willy 1david willy 1
I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog has nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type of blog post. I hope I will see again www.certsout.com/PSE-StrataDC-test.html