function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David PoynterDavid Poynter 

Formula Field, Process Builder, and "hasn't been set or assigned/null couldn't be resolved" error

So I am having a really hard time with this error. 

Right now in process builder I have a formula assigning a picklist value on the Account. The formula used in process builder evaluates a formula field on the Account level as well. When triggered on the Account page everything works just fine with no errors. However, when something changes on the related contact (account owner), the formula needs to evaluate and update the picklist as well. So I adjusted the process builder formula to lookup the formula on the account level, and left everything else identically the same, but now when the change is made on the conatct it errors out saying the formula field on the account is null/hasn't been set or assigned! This doesn't make any sense, because clearly it has been assigned (its a formula field that is returning a value, and it works just fine on the Account level), but for all intents and purposes, the field is seen as null in the contact triggered process builder!

Note: I do have a criteria check to make sure the account lookup field has been assigned on the contact, so the lookup field has been assigned and working properly.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by David Poynter
Our tech was finally able to find the issue!

Our Account object has two lookup fields to two different contacts. The formula field in question was summing income values from both contacts. It turns out that even though the formula field properly reported the correct sum (regardless of if there was a second contact/client linked or not), but in process builder when it looked at the formula field, it reported a null pointer. It is beyond me that the formula is coded in a way to report a correct value, yet when get reference by process builder through a null pointer error, but it does!

Hopefull this still helps someone else with a similar issue down the road. Have a great day!

All Answers

Oh also, it isn't the same for all accounts/contacts. Some are just fine, others not so much. But regardless, the formula field is always populated, and the records are always related properly. :/
Our tech was finally able to find the issue!

Our Account object has two lookup fields to two different contacts. The formula field in question was summing income values from both contacts. It turns out that even though the formula field properly reported the correct sum (regardless of if there was a second contact/client linked or not), but in process builder when it looked at the formula field, it reported a null pointer. It is beyond me that the formula is coded in a way to report a correct value, yet when get reference by process builder through a null pointer error, but it does!

Hopefull this still helps someone else with a similar issue down the road. Have a great day!
This was selected as the best answer