function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alex HustedAlex Husted 

opportunities on custom objects

So we have 2 Account objects. The standard one Account, and a custom one called Wholesale Account. (yeah, I know this is not really the best design but we are kinda stuck with it.)

We added Opportunity as a child of the custom object, but it still wants to always have an Opportunity connected to an Account. Is there some way to make an Opportunity that is attached to something other than a standard Account object?
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Alex,

When you say connected are you reffering to sync between opportunity and custom object?  You would need to use custom logic to use similar as standard account object.

However you cannot make custom object similar as standard account object and this would be out of box functionality.

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

Thanks,
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
Hi Alex,

I am not sure why are you saying, "It still wants to always have an Opportunity connected to an Account." since for the opportunity, it is not a mandatory field so you still can get away with that and use the custom one instead. I know you can't move the field out of the layout but you can certainly control the access by removing the visibility on the field level for the relevant profile so it doesn't show up on the layout.

Let me know if I understood you correctly.

Regards