function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Umair Mohammad 10Umair Mohammad 10 

Removing or Rename Roles

Good day folks,
I am in need of your expertise.
Recently, we re-org’d.  This entails creating a new role and possibly removing some roles or renaming them.  What I want to know is if there is a method or way to determine what will be impacted by removing or renaming roles i.e. if roles are hardcoded somewhere in process builder, flow etc.
Is there an app via the appexchange or another way to get a hold of this information.

Thx in advance
Umair

SubratSubrat (Salesforce Developers) 
Hello ,

Any change to a role name, associated with an API name anywhere the name is reference, could be affected. Below are key factors that are effected with the change of role name:

1) If the API Role name is used anywhere and is hard coded (i.e. workflow, formulas, validation rules, apex, etc.) it could cause an error for instance if the name is used and not the id on a flow.  

2) If a "Managed Package" uses that role name then the "Managed Package"  it will likely fail.  If a Role is part of a "Managed Package" it should not be modifiable. 

3) Integrations - potentially, there is the possibility that if there are integrations setup that map role API names to specific databases these will have to be updated also.

Make sure to review that all names that are affected are changed appropriately to not cause disruption in flows. 
Thank you.  Is there a streamline method or a better method of addressing those 3 points you highlghted?
Zoni GillZoni Gill
Hello Umair,
Good day to you too! I understand that you're facing a challenge after the recent reorganization and need the expertise to determine the impact of removing or renaming roles within your organization. It's a common concern when roles are hardcoded in various processes like process builders or flows.
Fortunately, there are ways to determine the impact of such changes. One approach is to analyze your Salesforce org and its components thoroughly. You can start by examining the process builder, workflows, and flows to see if any roles are referenced. Additionally, check for any validation rules, sharing rules, or Apex code that might depend on specific roles.
While there isn't a specific app on the AppExchange that will directly provide this information, tools can help you analyze your Salesforce org's metadata. These tools can assist in identifying dependencies and references to roles across various components.
One popular tool is the Salesforce Inspector, which can provide insights into your org's metadata and help you identify any hardcoded references to roles. You can find this tool on the AppExchange.
It's essential to thoroughly review and test your changes before implementing them to avoid unintended consequences. Involve relevant stakeholders and conduct proper testing to ensure a smooth transition.
@zonigill, thanks for the information.  How can I utilize SF-Inspector to identify hardcoded references to Roles in our org?  BTW, I am still a newbie to the role, just over a year in this position, so i got a ocean worth of knowledge to acquire. 
Zoni GillZoni Gill
Hey Umair! No worries, we all start as newbies at some point! SF-Inspector can be your trusty tool to identify hardcoded references to Roles in your organization. It's quite handy when diving into a sea of knowledge to acquire. With SF-Inspector, you can easily spot those hardcoded references, helping you understand how Roles are used throughout your org. It'll make your life much easier and save you from getting lost in that ocean of information. So, try it, and you'll navigate your way like a pro in no time!