function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Umair Mohammad 10Umair Mohammad 10 

Hover over picklist value with brief description

Good people, I have an inquiry.  This is coming from the director of the department, which our area (SF) falls under. 

I did some research on my own and figured it not an ask that can happen, but since I am noob, I reach out to the veterans. 

Is there a way to add a brief description to picklist or any values (data) in fields?  I have included 2 screen shots to better illustrate the ask..

User-added imageSo you can see billing is showing up in a small blip when hovering over Billing picklist value.

User-added imageWe want something similar like this blip but for field values.  
We want to add a very brief definition for each value of some of our fields in our org.

I hope this helps. 

Thx
Umair M. 
Pritesh Khandelwal 12Pritesh Khandelwal 12
Hi @Umair Mohammad 10,

Please follow the below steps and write description like this under help text for corresponding field
Pick List value text - corresponding description
Steps :
1. Goto setup 
2. Click on the Object Manager 
3. Select your corresponding object
4. Goto fields and relationships
5. Click on the field which you would like to add description
6. Click on the Edit button on the field defination
7. Enter help text as below example based on the your requirement shared by requestor
Example : Account Source field in Account object
Web - Lead source generated from website
Partner Referral - Lead source generated from Partner reference

8 Save it
Refer below screen shot for your reference
In Field leve help text configuration in setup
User-added image

UI Level help text visibility
User-added image

Hope this solution will help to resolve your director ask as required in this case please help to mark as Best Answer

Thanks,
Pritesh

Umair Mohammad 10Umair Mohammad 10
Thank you, Pritesh.  Actually, the ask is grandular.  For each picklist field, the director is looking for each value to have a brief blip when a user hovers over each value with it's own unique description/definition.