function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vincent Drader 2Vincent Drader 2 

Challenge: De-duping trigger for email across fields

Hello Developers - I am a SF user who is just beginning at coding. I am having trouble with making a trigger that will act as a dupe blocking rule and throw an error whenever a user tries to add a contact whose email matches the Email field OR our custom Other_Email_c field. Right now SF's Data.com Dupe management won't block dupes with a cross-field logic like this, so I turn to coding...but am not sure what this entails. Also would want to build in code that says do not fire trigger if user's profile = ______. Any ideas?
Abhishek BansalAbhishek Bansal
Hi Vincent,

Please use the below trigger to avoid duplicate Email contacts to be inserted or updated in the system :
trigger checkDuplicateEmail on Contact(before insert, before update){
	Set<String> emailIds = new Set<String>();
	for(Contact con : [Select Email, Other_Email_c from Contact where Id Not In :trigger.new]){
		if(con.Email != null){
			emailIds.add(con.Email);
		}
		if(con.Other_Email_c != null){
			emailIds.add(con.Other_Email_c);
		}
	}

for(Contact newContact : trigger.new){
		if(emailIds.contains(newContact.Email)){
			newContact.addError('Contact with this Email Id already exists');
		}
	}
}
If you want that the above trigger should not execute for certain profiles than you must use below code :
trigger checkDuplicateEmail on Contact(before insert, before update){
	User currentUser = [Select Profile.Name from User where Id =: UserInfo.getUserId()];
	String profileName = currentUser.Profile.Name;
		if(profileName != 'Your Profile Name For Which You Want To Exclude this Trigger'){
		Set<String> emailIds = new Set<String>();
		for(Contact con : [Select Email, Other_Email_c from Contact where Id Not In :trigger.new]){
			if(con.Email != null){
				emailIds.add(con.Email);
			}
			if(con.Other_Email_c != null){
				emailIds.add(con.Other_Email_c);
			}
		}

for(Contact newContact : trigger.new){
			if(emailIds.contains(newContact.Email)){
				newContact.addError('Contact with this Email Id already exists');
			}
		}
	}
}

Let me know if you have any issue with the trigger code or if you need any help on this.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Abhishek! You the man! Giving me code to use - thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.

Vince
@Abhishek - I have this code now edited, and I am trying to test it to bring it into production. I have gotten it to 58% (7 of 12). Below is what I currently have. Any suggestions to bring the % up?

User-added image