function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Umur Ak 10Umur Ak 10 

API for external JAVA application

Dear developers,

I am new to salesforces, and I am just getting to know the whole platform, so please be gentle with me.

I am currently working on a new project, it's basically a time-tracking application, and it needs to be interacting with the data from my salesforce org.
The time-tracker is a stand-alone JAVA application, displaying information, editing information, retrieving, updating, logins etc., should be happening on the application-side. The org will be more like a database for the time-tracker.

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, there are multiple API's available on salesforce. I am going to be honest with you, I am overwhelmed by the descriptions of these API's, and I can't seem to figure out which one would fit the use-case of my project.

Can anyone help me out on this? What API should I be using? Is there any tutorial out there that shows exactly what I want? I am developing in Netbeans by the way.

Any help or advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
AshlekhAshlekh
Hi Umur,

Here is a link provided by saleforce to understand the about API 

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=integrate_what_is_api.htm

-Thanks
Ashlekh Gera
Umur Ak 10Umur Ak 10
Hi Ashlekh,

Thank you for the response. I know that page, but I can't seem to figure out which one to use, since it's very time consuming for me to read all of this through, and that page isn't really aiding my comprehension, since things get really complicated.

I would just like to know if there is an all-arounder, something easy, to implement or set-up in the org to do just the things as I want.

Thanks
Umur