function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OpenSMS DemoOpenSMS Demo 

How to edit Created Date field in Salesforce

Hi All,

Iam a newbie and i was assigned a challenging task. I would like to edit and modify the CreatedDate field on Lead Object. Is there any way to achieve this. Kindly waiting for the response.

Thanks,
Ram
Graham RedwayGraham Redway
Hey Ram,

Why do you need to edit the CreatedDate?

I'm not entirely sure whether it's possible to edit the created date at all but, if it is, I'd recommend against doing that. The created date is incredibly helpful within reporting and, as you become more familiar with Salesforce you'll find uses for a genuine unmodified CreatedDate that you may not currently anticipate.

What I'd suggest as an alternative is to create a new field called whatever you prefer (e.g. Pseudo Created Date) and then have a workflow populate that field when a Lead is created. That will mean a value is put in there when you create a Lead but you can subsequently edit it, whilst preserving the Salesforce standard CreatedDate.

G.
T r o u b l e S h o o t e rT r o u b l e S h o o t e r
This is possible by logging a support case with Salesforce Support and is quite common when migrating data where original dates are required.  It is a temporary feature and only works on CREATE and not UPDATE.  See help knowledge article 000176484
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewSolution?id=000176484&language=en_US

JPSeaburyJPSeabury

You no longer need to log a support case with Salesforce Support to get this feature enabled. Simply navigate to Setup > User Interface. Scroll down to the "Setup" section and select the "Enable 'Set Audit Fields upon Record Creation' and 'Update Records with Inactive Owners' User Permissions" option:

User-added image

_Ted__Ted_
Thanks, JP!