function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VinnieBVinnieB 

New version questions

Just to be clear on a few things I heard at the conference. 

1) Is version 2.5 the latest version of Sforce that will be released shortly?  Is there an update as to when this will actually be released?

2) Is this the version that has the SoQL query language that can be used instead of (or in addition to) the 2.0 methods?

3) Will there be Java examples available as there are for version 2.0?  These were extremely helpful to me and I would greatly appreciate these.

Sorry, much of this is new to me and we're trying to get a customer portal up and running pretty quickly.  Thus, I may be hitting you up with a few questions in the next few of weeks.

BTW, I really enjoyed the conference.  You guys did an excellent job explaining the technical details.

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi VinnieB,

So, there is a little confusion that will be completely cleared up by our next generation of the API.  sforce as a service is in it's 2.0 release as of Nov 21.  The sforce 2.0 release contains the newest release of the API which is 2.5.  When sforce 3.0 is released the API will also be at 3.0 and the confusion should disappear allowing us to reference the API and sforce by the same version number.

Now, in sforce 2.0 (API 2.5), the SOAP api is completely overhauled.  If you heard it at the conference, and the context wasn't "remember how difficult it was too...", then the feature applies to sforce 2.0.  I highly recommend that if you are currently doing a SOAP app to our API that you seriously consider porting to the latest.  The 2.5 api is way easier to maintain as the number of lines of code required to do anything can be reduced by up to 75%.  It is more readable making code easier to maintain and extend.

Samples is what we are all about Vinnie.  For sforce 2.0 we will be publishing a quick start kit as well as the same high quality samples that were provided for sforce 1.0.  The samples will demonstrate each of the 13 calls that can be made using the new API.  They will illustrate how to access the sforce objects and the objects returned from each call and so on.  We'll try to make this the simplest SOAP experience you've ever had.

VinnieBVinnieB

THANKS for the reply!!  That clears things up.

We're just starting the development process for our customer portal.  We'll definitely wait to use the new API.

Unfortunately, this is the first SOAP experience I'm having so I'm climbing a bit of a learning curve here.    You guys are making it pretty easy to understand so far.