function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
thintonthinton 

writing permissions

Hi,

I am working on an App that integrates with my company's system. One of the things we want to do is write activity records based off of certain events. Most of them aren't a problem, because they happen right away. However, there is an event that can occur at any time in the future, almost definitely after the current session key has expired.

So the problem is, how can I get the API to log back into any given client's account and write an activity record based off of this future event?

My thought had been that as a requirement for this feature, we require companies to give us a username and password to their account, so that we can use that to log in and record this activity. However, I wasn't sure whether or not one user account logged in through the API can write an activity record for another user. I know you can read objects owned by another user, but can you write them as well?

Answers to either question would be greatly appreciated.
Gareth DaviesGareth Davies
If you are storing a user name and password make sure that you encrypt it using something very strong.

Most objects in SFDC have two attributes: OwnedById and CreatedById. Use our Developer's Sidekick to have a look.

Be very carefull about storing user/password with sysadmin rights for client sites (!) and do not use plain text!!

Good luck Gareth.

Message Edited by Gareth Davies on 06-13-2006 12:39 PM