function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ltcommanderltcommander 

Access to Salesforce DB through PhPMyadmin

Hello

Here's what I want to do:

a) I want to write a custom program that will populate our Salesforce DB with some values. Assuming Salesforce uses MySQL, I wish to:

- Connect to the MySQL server using my Perl program
- Write some values
- Exit

Is that possible with Salesforce? I intend to use DBD:MySQL in Perl.

Thanks,

Vince
RickyGRickyG
Vince -

The Apex Data Loader, called through the CLI, can move data from relational databases into Salesforce.com.  The Data Loader comes with any edition that supports the API - the Unlimited Edition, the Professional Edition and the Developer Edition.

In these editions, you can get the Data Loader by going to Setup, then Data Management, to find the link to download the Data Loader and documentation.

We're working on a new page for the Wiki that gives more information on the Data Loader.  It should be out within a week.

Hope this helps.

- Rick Greenwald
Developer Evangelist
ltcommanderltcommander
Hello Rick

Thanks for the response.

Actually, we are on the Team Edition, so I don't think we have access to those APIs. Is there any other way to accomplish this? I would need to know if I can get access to our Salesforce database / MySQL server (if that's what is being used) using DBD::MySQL in Perl.

Thanks again, Rick.

Cheers
Vince
RickyGRickyG

Vince -

Check under Data Management on Setup for your Edition.  You should have a choice relating to importing custom objects. 

This choice can only import from .csv files, so you will have to export from MySQL as a first step.

Hope this helps.

- Rick Greenwald

Developer Evangelist

ltcommanderltcommander
Thanks Rick. I'll take a look at this.

Cheers
Vince