function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
StianSStianS 

Best practice for what user account to use with API?

Hi,

what user account should we use when logging in via the API? Should we create an own user called Administrator? Api?
Is it possible to mark the changes the API does with another user than the one currently used?

-Stian
MarkSilberMarkSilber

We have created a new profile and user for API transactions. The profile is marked as "API user only" to further protect this generic account from being used directly in the UI. The profile should be carefully setup to ensure the API user only has the rights necessary to modify records as part of your interface.

There isn't a way to modify records to appear as if another user made the change, with the exception of some fields on Cases.The API user should be created with a friendly name so users can easily determine what changes were made by the API process (i.e., System Interface, Automated System User, Operations Interface).

The only issue is that the API user takes a license. It's not such a big deal in a larger orgs (like ours), except we have multiple instances and each needs an API user account.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

Misty GrennellMisty Grennell
Do you have a unique API User for each integration or can all your integrations use the same User?  The concern becomes multiple licenses taking up annual cost for each install...But I want to make sure our org does it right...