function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jwalkerjwalker 

Force IDE Frustration

Hello,

I'm a relatively experienced developer, but am new to salesforce.  A client has asked us to put together an application to demo some things for them.  I've been able to do what I want to do so far, but I've been having a number of headaches with salesforce in general.

My first issue was that building things (Objects, Tabs, Apps, etc) with the web-interface, while functional, was way too slow to do things on the scale I want to do them.  This is understandable -- it's a web interface, and it needs to be usable by users at every point along the experience spectrum.

I looked around for a more "heavyweight" solution for developing Salesforce stuff and found the Force IDE plugin for Eclipse (distributed on this website).   I've got that up and running, and while it works, I seem to keep hitting weird annoying glitches. 

My most recent frustration is the IDE's weird tendency to revert all the changes I made to an object if it fails validation -- I'll hit Alt+F S to save, it will churn for a bit, throw an error in the "Problems" tab and then mysteriously revert all the changes I made since last succesful (error free save).   I'm able to work around by hitting Ctrl+Z, but obviously this is really annoying.

I'm sure this is related to me doing something wrong, but it seems like it's one thing after another.  I'm a developer so I understand that it can take a while to get the bugs worked out of things, but this is really frustrating.  Is there an alternate way to do this stuff?  Is there anyway I can use Visual Studio?  Is there a more polished version of the Eclipse plugin?  Thanks for any help you guys can give me,

-John

adamgadamg
Hi John:

Sorry to hear things have not been going smoothly - I will forward this thread to some of the folks on our Eclipse team to see if we can help solve the revert issue - I hadn't seen that before.

The IDE is still beta, so please bear with us - and let us know if you have any other feedback!

MarioKorfMarioKorf
The Force.com IDE is rapidly evolving, which is why it's still a Developer Preview product. We're excited that developers like you are using it, and your feedback is vey important. I'm not just saying that, I'm working to solve the problems. Next week there will be a new release of the  Force.com IDE, please go to Software Updates after we release the next version, this may solve your problem. If not, please get back to us.
MyGodItsColdMyGodItsCold
We use Subclipse (the Subversion plug in). However, for a powerful editor, I don't care for Subversion. I like multiple windows, with the same or mulitple files, and I like multiple clipboards (registers) - so I use jEdit.

I don't save my work from jEdit, I paste into Eclipse, save (which transfers it to the SF server), then I run it in a SF window (using Firefox, Firebug, Fiddler for various debug strategies).

When I get something that works, I right click on the file, Team, Commit - and give it an appropriate comment.

Since I'm still learning how all these tools could work together, I don't really have a crisp Standard Operating Procedure that I can publish at a decent CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) level - but that's where I'm headed toward.

We avoid 'make-work' in our standards, and only adopt when they're seen as accelerating what we do in addition to adding quality, reproduce-ability, fault tolerance, and fault avoidance/prediction.

We're willing to share with like minded technicians who have something to add & if we get something we can all be comfortable with (at some level of quality), a best practice publication might be in order.

Any help is welcome.

Message Edited by MyGodItsCold on 02-15-2008 03:23 PM
jwalkerjwalker
Thanks for the quick replies.  I missed that the IDE is still in Beta, which I guess might have explained some of my issues :-).  The input from MyGodItsCold was also helpful... hopefully as i start to arrive at my own process organically I will have some worthwhile tips to contribute to that effort. 

It definitely would make the platform much more appealing if there was a nice, powerful all in one development tool of the caliber of something like Visual Stuidio or Dreamweaver. (Not easy to make I'm sure!)

-John

Jeff C.ax327Jeff C.ax327
I am also an experienced developer (C# / Visual Studio) and fairly new to Salesforce.  One thing that I truly miss is an interactive debugging environment... in fact I feel a little lost, and far less confident about deploying complex code without having stepped through it and examining execution path, variable values, etc.  Is an interactive debugger in the works for the Force.com IDE, or is that way off the radar screen?
radlibertyradliberty
Hello can some one help me out, i'm getting the following error;

Current configuration contains errors that are not corrected by the requested operation and more errors would be introduced. See details for more information.
  ----- Current configuration problems -----
    Resulting configuration does not contain the platform.
  ----- Configuration problems after the operation -----
    Force.com IDE (14.0.2.200812101436) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.ui (3.2.0)", or compatible.

any ideas how to fix this issue, i would greatly appreciated.

DrawloopSupportDrawloopSupport

I'm getting the same error as radliberty.

Current configuration contains errors that are not corrected by the requested operation and more errors would be introduced. See details for more information.
  ----- Current configuration problems -----
  ----- Configuration problems after the operation -----
    Force.com IDE (15.0.1.200903241010) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.ui (3.2.0)", or compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am following the instructions here:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.3.x

MyGodItsColdMyGodItsCold

First, let me correct an earlier statement I made - Eclipse does allow multiple windows, I was just too new to it to get to it.

Next, please be sure you're using the version of Eclipse that SF requests - along with the additional plugins. If you follow the installation guide ... exactly, then all should go well.

As a final point - I did have some difficulties a while back when upgrading to a new version of the plugin. I removed Eclipse all together & did a re-install - everything was fine (btw, it was much easier to do than I imagined).

Message Edited by MyGodItsCold on 03-31-2009 03:50 PM
DrawloopSupportDrawloopSupport

I followed the instructions here exactly: http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.3.x

I installed Eclipse from the link on this page. It was a fresh install so I don't know what could be the problem.

MyGodItsColdMyGodItsCold

I am not on 15 yet, but I do have 14 (the same exact version number as above). I went looking for the org.eclipse.ui in my list of installed packages, but a brief scan didn't turn it up - perhaps it's buried in one of the plug-ins. I'm not sure how else to request it than to do what's in the install directions.

Bottom line is, I have no idea. Hopefully someone from SF will jump in. - or open a case w/ SF - if you have support (I don't know what the support options are, we're lucky enough to have the ability to open cases).

vreddyvreddy

I too got the same error. I just tried cancelling all the opertaion and restarting my PC.:smileytongue:

It worked.

Thanks