function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DMDM 

Question about creating and populating objects in Developer edition

I'm new to SForce, so pardon the newbie question.

My company has created a custom object in the Enterprise Edition.

I would like to do some java application development using this custom object.

As I understand it, I should do any development work using the Developer Edition.

Is it possible to copy the Enterprise Edition custom object into the Developer edition without have to manually recreate all the fields and data using the user interface?

If so how would I do it?

Thanks

DM

adamgadamg
Hi DM,

While you don't have to use Developer Edition, its certainly recommended so that you don't impact your production system.

You cannot automatically create the custom object defintion; you'll need to go to the setup area of your new Developer Edition account and create it there.
JunJun
Hmm...this is interesting. So how would one go about releasing new features (custom fields) from dev environment to production (or even QA)? If I understand you correctly, one has to go into each environment and manually repeat the same steps in all environments? Seems like we really need a new tool that can selectively "pushes" features from one site to another.
_dj_dj
Any utilities out there to recreate these objects and possibly copy some data too?
Ron HessRon Hess
This is what the AppExchange is all about, it will be the best way to migrate meta-data.

You can (real soon now...) package your custom objects, s-controls, reports, WIL's, etc. and load them up to the AppExchange, then down-load them from there into other "orgs".

to move data, export a report, then i use the sforce_connector for excel, but the sforce loader will also work fine and is supported...