function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SaraSara 

Mass creating custom fields

I need to add 200+ custom fields into a custom object, is there away to add them all at once...instead of creating each one ...thru setup....??????

Please hekp!!
SteveBowerSteveBower
No such luck Sara.  To both your questions.

Clearly there is *some* way to do it because Salesforce obviously does it when you install an app from the AppExchange.  But, it's not public and we've been asking for API access to CRUD operations in the Meta data for awhile.

You second question, about "locking an object for administrative tasks" is also a No as far as I'm aware.  Same problem for data integrity.  If you both start to modify the same object (like a contact), then whoever saves last is the varsion that is kept. Sooner or later they will have to deal with transactional consistency.

As an aside, 200 fields in an object is a lot.  Are you sure there's no way to normalize it further?

Best of luck, Steve Bower

SaraSara

Steve,

thanks for your reply...

I couldn't  find a better way to capture 4 sets of addresses(4 street lines) with phone, fax,email, depat .contact person.....etc.,  ( Custom fields doesn't have the data type 'address'..).. so they addedup to 200...with other required fields.

SaraSara
Locking Object -  I noticed it during  editing pagelayouts on a custom object.  We have multiple admin's and  anybody can access the custom object in development.  I wish we have a 'lock'  during the development.