function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Umesh_thakurUmesh_thakur 

How to upload notes to account and contract through dataloader or wizard

Hi folks,

I need to upload notes for accounts and Contracts. I do not want to upload manually. Can you please advice?

Regards
Umesh
JPSeaburyJPSeabury
On Step 2 of the Data Loader wizard, the Note object is not visible by default.  Check the "Show all Salesforce objects" and Note (along with all other Salesforce objects) will be visible.

Before you insert (upload) all your notes, you'll need to extract all of your Accounts and Contract records, so you can get their ID values.  These will be used in the ParentID column of your Notes CSV upload file.
Umesh_thakurUmesh_thakur
Thank you so much.

Can you please also tell how to upload attachments?

I have legacy data in my sugar CRM which is having lot of attachments too in all modules. First, i dont know how to export those attachments from Sugar as objects, second, how to upload in salesforce.

Your help can really save my life as i m really running short of time.

Thanks and Regards
Avnish
JPSeaburyJPSeabury
I don't believe you can insert (upload) attachments via the Apex Data Loader.

The Data Loader basically requires that the data you're importing be in a CSV file format.  I don't know that it's possible to put entire documents / attachments into the cells of a CSV file.

Umesh_thakurUmesh_thakur
Oh.

Is there any other way to upload attachmets in salesforce?

Regards
Avnish
werewolfwerewolf
Actually you can import attachments with the data loader:

http://blogs.salesforce.com/blogs/2005/08/importing_attac.html
JPSeaburyJPSeabury
Hey, that's a pretty neat trick!  Looks like your only trick now is to figure out how to export for Sugar CRM.  =)
Phil WaltonPhil Walton

Is that information still available? 

I am also looking for some pointers on mass importing attachments, as my test imports seem to be giving errors!?

Many thanks!

Phil

Phil WaltonPhil Walton

I have finally got around the errors I was getting, so just in case anyone else has had the same problems...

When you build your .csv file, add the following columns:

Record ID (the ID of the record you want to import the Attachment to),

Description (just a title/description for the attachment) ,

File Name (actual name of the file attachment e.g. Meeting notes),

IsPrivate (0 or 1, True or False),

OwnerId (the User ID of who will be the salesforce User that will be the Owner of the attachment record),

Body (here is where I tripped up, add the location of the file you are importing, but also add the suffix e.g. C:\Users\Phil\Documents\meeting notes.doc, so make sure you add .doc or .pdf, etc)

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any probs

Phil

Phil Walton
Certified Salesforce.com Consultant
www.philwaltonconsultancy.co.uk
+44 (0)7968 361 506
philwalton@aol.com

hgrzesiekhgrzesiek

Hi JPSeabury,

I'm having the same problem right now. I am trying to export attachements from SugarCRM. I know where are they stored in the sugar (cache/uploads) and where are they stored in the database. The problem I'm having is that the physical files are being some kind of hashed files and I can't reference them to the database table notes. 

Have you found any solution for that? How to extract files from SugarCRM in the original format as they were?

I would really appreciate your help on this subject.

Hubert