function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WesGrayWesGray 

Enter password outside Salesforce?

It seems from my reading that Salesforce supports a delegated authentication model where the user types login/passwd into Salesforce and Saleforce passes the info to us for authentication.  Unfortunately our Shibboleth system requires that Salesforce bounce the user to our login page and we take the login/passwd from them, then redirect back to Salesforce once successfully logged in.  For security we don't want anyone else handling the password.  Is our way of doing it possible with Salesforce?

Message Edited by WesGray on 08-05-2008 09:00 AM
SuperfellSuperfell
Well, you don't have to pass the password with delegated auth, you can pass anything that you can later use to verify the user, including things like saml assertions & kerb tickets. We do also directly support SAML 1.1 for logging into the web app, sounds like that's what you're looking for.
mddean17mddean17
Hi, two quick quesitons regarding SAML 1.1:

1)   Will SFDC continue to support for the long term future or are there plans to drop it at some point?

2)   Looks like if I want to be able to redirect to a start page I have to go with 1.1. Just wanted to confirm that there's no way of achieving this with 2.0.

Any help is much appreciated.