function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
phpFanphpFan 

Need help with Custom Views

Ok, so the company I work for sells different brands to different companies.  We have a custom field on the account page for "Brand".  We run campaign for these different brands.  I'm trying to find a quick way of adding contacts to a campaign according to what brand they are.  Unfortunately, when I create a custom contact view, I am only allowed to filter by fields from the contact page, not from the account page.  Does anyone know a work around for this?  Thanks in advance.

Chris
ArtabusArtabus
Try creating a new field on Contact which is a cross object formula field referencing Account/Brand
phpFanphpFan
I had not thought of that.  Awesome! TYVM I'll definitely try that :)
phpFanphpFan
Ok, your suggestion almost worked :)  Unfortunately, my "Brand" field is a multi-select picklist, since some of our account offer multiple brands.  I can't seem to find a formula that will allow me to match a particular brand with something in my picklist.  Any suggestions?

rpr2rpr2
Have you tried using an account with contacts report and then adding the contacts to your compaign from the report (instead of from a custom view)?  With the report you will have access to both the account and contact fields automatically.
phpFanphpFan
I have tried this.  Unfortunately, the reports only let me add every contact showing to the campaign. I'm not allowed to pick and choose.   The problem being that many of our accounts have multiple contacts.  We want to be sure that we are sending to the decision maker, and not someone else.  We would also like to be able to export our campaign member lists for physical mailings.  We can do this, but if we add members from a report and then export that member list with mailing addresses, multiple contacts at one location means we end up mailing multiple copies of literature to the same location. :(   Thanks for the suggestion though :)
rpr2rpr2
Here's another possibility (I don't like giving up):smileymad:

Use an Accounts with Contact Roles report instead of an Contacts & Accounts report.
For this to work, you would first need to specify the contact roles on each of your accounts, identifying the decision maker through the role, if you don't already have that setup.

Or, if you already have the decision maker identified in a custom field on the contact record, you could simply use that as part of your selection criteria, along with the account criteria.
phpFanphpFan
Thats an excellent suggestion, however I would need to hire all new users at the company LOL.  We have a bit of trouble getting our users to label their contacts at all, not to mention doing it in a unified format.  I could get POC or Point of contact or Buyer or Byer or buy or manager or owner or boss etc etc etc.  The most common of these is the "blank" field of course :) But thanks again for the suggestion.   I may look into a check box, and have all my users go back and update.
Brendan LallyBrendan Lally
"multi-select picklist" are hog-tied!! i.e. they are nice eye-candy but have little to no capability via forumula's etc.. Suspect its an 'oversight' on SF's behalf and maybe in 2009 u might get some relief (see http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/34063) unless it gets pushed higher up the stack (via promote requests) Either go as rpr2 suggested otherwise u will have to write VF code to play around with it behind the scenes. Fun- huh! Lal
phpFanphpFan
I was worried that would be the case.  Well, thanks for your advice, and I will definitely put in a request or 10 :)