function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EMHDevEMHDev 

Recommended dev environment for S-control development

I'm new to salesforce development and web development.  I've been developing software for many years but this is the first time I'm doing web development, starting with some s-controls for an application my company needs.  I'm developing on my own (alone) and would appreciate some advice regarding a good development environment/toolset for fast HTML/javascript development and deployment.  Do people just use plain text editors? Find that hard to believe!
Thanks in advance -
Erica
mojeebahmedmojeebahmed
Hi Erica,

You can develope the S-Controls in any HTML editor. I have used  Notepad, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio and Eclipse with Aptana Plugin. The one i like the most is Eclipse. The Aptana plugin for Eclipse is very great when it comes to javascript programming. The other benifit of Eclipse is that you can also install the Apex Toolkit for Eclipse which can help you in developing you S-controls.

You should search for Apex Toolkit for Eclipse on the forum and salesforce website for more information. I hope that you will enjoy developing S-controls in Eclipse.
SteveBowerSteveBower

Just to concur, yes, use the Eclipse plug-in.  Follow the instructions for installation carefully and you should have no troubles.

Put "debugging;" somewhere in your javascript and if you are using Firefox with the Firebug add-on, you'll get an interactive debugger.  If you're using IE as your development browser then stop use Firefox and resolve inconsistencies later if any.

I also find the "Web Developer" Firefox add-on to be useful from time to time.

Consider too that if you're doing a lot of UI coding there are toolkits like Dojo, Yahoo UI, etc. that provide cross browser support and a lot of added functionality.  And then there is the whole Adobe Flex world to consider starting with instead of doing raw Javascript/HTML.

Best, Steve.
EMHDevEMHDev
Thanks everyone for the advice.  Have downloaded and installed Eclipse and Aptana, and the Ajax tools too.  Will look at the Flex tools too.  I really appreciate your help to a newbie -

Erica