function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bakumbakum 

New to Apex, creating custom fields, or perhaps it's easier than that?

Hi, I'm brand new to Apex and I've got a few questions that hopefully aren't too newbie.

1)Is there a reference material for the native platform beyond that nice PDF "Crating Native Applications...?"  I didn't find one but one can always hope.

2)Lookup fields, restricting values - I want to create a lookup field that is related to the Users object but only presents a certain subset of users for selection.  Is this done through roles or something? 

3)multi-select lookup fields - I need to create lookup fields that allow multi-select values.  Is this an s-control snippet?  Seems like I should be able to make something like this myself if I had to, but I'm not even sure where to begin/what direction to go in.

Any advice here would be greatly apprieciated.  Not looking for hand holding, just general direction pointing.

Thanks!
-mb
adamgadamg
Welcome!

1) The book is probably your best bet.  You'll find lots of details about specfic features in the wiki as tech notes and recorded session content, and via online help.

2) Good question, and unfortunately today, no. 

3) There is a standard field type for multi-select lists;  not sure if thats exactly what you are looking for, but you should be able to accomplish what you need without S-controls.
bakumbakum
THanks for the help!  I appreciate it.  Sorry to hear I can't restrict the values in a lookup field.  As for the multi-select, I do mean a multi-select lookup list, not a pick-list.  Is that in the "book."  also, where do I find the "book?"

Thanks!

-mb
RickyGRickyG
mb -

You can find the book Creating On Demand Applications: An Introduction to the Apex Platform here.  The book should start to give you a foundation for creating your own applications, and welcome to our community.

- Rick Greenwald
Developer Evangelist