function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
uptime_andrewuptime_andrew 

Existing Custom Object - New Fields

Hello,

I've copied my Production site to my Sandbox and working on a project which will involve creating new fields for pre-existing custom objects.

I'm hoping to avoid manually re-creating the new fields in the Production account, but don't see a way to package new fields for custom objects (only custom fields for standard objects).  Am I correct, or has someone done this successfully in the past?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.
MarioKorfMarioKorf
You can do this in the Force.com IDE.

http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE
  1. Install per instructions on wiki
  2. Create a project against your test org
  3. Create custom fields on the custom objects
  4. Deploy to production org
Note that the Force.com IDE is still in Developer Preview, and we are adding functionality and changing the way things work all the time.

uptime_andrewuptime_andrew
Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply.  I already have the IDE installed for Eclipse and am familiar with creating packages.

The problem is I don't see a way to add new custom fields from a pre-existing custom object to the package. For example, in production, I have a custom object, Widgets.  I create a sandbox, and in Widgets, I add 10 new fields.  I can't find a way to package these 10 new fields to import back to my production account.  I can see I can add Widgets to the package, but would that end up wiping out my existing Widgets object (and all the data)?

Thanks