function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
moverstrommoverstrom 

Importing large amounts of data for an AppExchange app

I am developing an app for Appexchange that needs to import lots of data into a user's sales force account.  This has to be able to occur automatically, and I won't have a user's username and password, only a session id.  I have looked at the Data Loader program, but it seems like there is no provision for using this without a username and password.  I started to look at modifying the java source to suit my purpose, but I don't want to do this if there is a better way.  What would be the best way for an Appexchange app to import lots of data into its users' accounts?  I typically use .net, so I would like to use it if possible.

Thanks,
Martin
adamgadamg
if you need to build some kind of custom data migration tool then you can do so in .NET; of course data migration takes many different shapes and forms, so the exactly solution is dependent on your requirements.
moverstrommoverstrom
What I need to do really isn't all that custom.  I'm just importing list data, which the 'Apex Data Loader' already does.  If I was just importing data to my own account, I would just use that.  But I am building an app for Appexchange, so I need to be able to add lots of data to customers' accounts.  I could just use API calls, but I think this would be extremely slow, and I am planning on loading hundreds of thousands of records.  And since the Data Loader is already designed to do what I want to do, I was hoping I could somehow use that.  Does anyone know if there's a way for Data Loader to load data into a customer's account?  If not, what is your suggestion for how I should do this?

Thanks
moverstrommoverstrom
I thought a good approach might be to modify the Data Loader code, becuase I know Java, but it seems like not all the source is available uncompiled.  Anyone know where I can find the complete code for DataLoader?

Thanks
mspohnmspohn
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=139991