function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sean KellySean Kelly 

General question: SQL Window for updating / fixing records?

I have a general question on what people use to fix or clean records that when ACCOUNT, FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME are dirty. I cannot use the website's import tool to update records since there were several dirty imports undertaken without a test plan.

I have a lead source that is keyed on custom fields (staffid for CONTACT, bigdough_instid for ACCOUNT) and want to be able to periodically update records based on those keys through the use of SQL.

Is there a way to manipulate my company's salesforce.com data using something akin to SQLPlus or TOAD without writing an application?

GlennWGlennW

Sean;

You can have a free week of our MassUpdate tool for salesforce that could help you solve your problem.  You'll have to dump your data out to CSV, MDB or XLS and then make your changes there.  When you use the tool to update you can set your key to any field (custom or standard) in salesforce and run the update.

The application can be downloaded at http://www.demandtools.com 

Your other alternative is to create an application that will use SOQL to access the record(s) that match your criteria (based on your specific where clause) and then update the returned objects with the new value.  When you are matching non-ID based fields you will need to do a "Query" and then "Update" to fix your records.

Cheers;
glennw glenn.wilson@demandtools.com

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Sean Kelly,

Although not specifically designed for this purpose, you could check out the .Net SOQL Explorer described at http://sforce.sourceforge.net/.

This provides among other things, the ability to edit data in a grid.  For de-duping purposes, you can view leads in the grid and sort the grid by whatever column you want and manually look for the duplicates.

I definitely like your idea about a SQLPlus or QueryAnalyzer type tool.  Sounds like a good project to start on SourceForge. 

greeniegreenie
Hi, I'm doing some light research here on developing for Sales Force and ran across this thread. It's been 2 years since the idea of a SQL Analyzer-like tool for Sales Force cropped up. Just wondering if there is now such a tool available for Sales Force customers?