function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sean_at_33050sean_at_33050 

populating another oject through custom link

Hello,
I am trying to "put" data from an Opportunity into another tab object called "Batches".
I have an example of how it was done by my organization in the past using a custom link but I am not sure if there is a better way.
Here is part of a custom link within Opportunity:
https://na1.salesforce.com/a00/e? retURL=%2F00630000001b2Sq &Name={!Opportunity_Batch_Number} &00N30000000i3EK={!Opportunity_Batch_Number} &00N30000000j5Dl={!Opportunity_Batch_Number} &CF00N30000000hK45={!Opportunity_Account_Name} &CF00N30000000gpxH={!Opportunity_Name}& ....
It looks like in order refer to fields of an object outside the current object, you have to specify their object id.
My question is what is the "a00/e" and how do you know to use it. And what is "=%2F00630000001b2Sq".
There appears to be a "CF" in front some object ids. Is this kind of usage documented anywhere?
If this is how to get and put data between objects, is there a way to get a complete report of ALL object names and IDs to make development easier? I find it hard to believe that this is the way it's done, but I'm new with SalesForce so anyhelp would be great.
Thanks.

Ian_HIan_H

This link might help ..

http://www.thoughtsonsalesforce.com/2006/10/url_structure.html

It describes the structure of salesforce URLs and should help you decipher what's going on.

flkeysmarlinflkeysmarlin

Thanks!

Very good and USEFULL info here. However since then, I figured that the way to do what I need is through Client side programming - javascript (which I am a novice) I just wish there were real examples out there to help get up to speed faster. I'm talking more about the basic mechanics like: how to code an scontrol so that when the user clicks its custom link, it does "its thing" and then brings the user back to page they originally clicked the  link on. Coding the "its thing" part is pretty well documented and not much of a problem. (I am using Eclipse and Ajax). It's the javascript magic doing page navigation that is getting me. Any best practices on client side programming to help the novice start off on the right track?

Thanks.

Sean

LuizLuiz
Have you found how to do what you wanted?
I'm trying to find out the same thing.

Thanks
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
This might be of some use:

Code:
<script language="JavaScript">
function coolAPICode()
{ ... window.top.refresh(true);
}
</script>

This causes the browser to reload the page. You'd use it as the last line of your code after using the AJAX toolkit. This will cause the page to reload, and changes you did in the API would appear.

~ sfdcfox ~