function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bakumbakum 

Advice on the big picture: Related list with 10-40,000 related records?!

Hi,

I'm a consulting and I just had an initial meeting with a client whose business is structured such that their accounts all have related "locations", and each opportunity product will require specific information for each location related to that account.

E.G. They might work with Home Depot, and Home Depot might buy something for every store they have, but the exact details of what each store gets are up to the store themselves and it all needs to be logged in salesforce associated to that opporutnity.

THE ISSUE HERE is that some of their customers have five figures of locations.  The biggest count is 40K.  This means if not only does that account need 40K related locations records, but if that account buys something the opportunity products will need 40K location_options records, upon which they will run reports for work orders, shipping, sales reports, and whatnot.

MY QUESTION is I've never worked with data structured like that in SF before.  Not even thinking about data structure issues, just thinking about UI alone, trying to enter in 40K optional records would take literally days of work (5 seconds per record entry = 200K seconds = 55.5 hours).  So there's definitely a need for some kind of custom UI.

But beyond that, what kinds of data consdierations do I have?  Like I say, I've not worked with SF before on that scale.  (actually, I don't think I've ever done a project with those kinds of numbers).  Are there things I need to be thinking about when I create these objects.  I can't help but wonder if SF is the right application for them...

-mb
werewolfwerewolf
Consideration #1: don't put a related list on the Opportunity detail page that has 40k records in it.  It will cause that Opportunity page to load very slowly, plus it will add very little value to the user as only 5 of the items will actually be displayed on the page.

If you need some of the related list buttons (like New) you'd be well advised to add them as custom buttons to the detail page.  But don't show that related list if you can avoid it.
werewolfwerewolf
Also, rather than trying to put 40k products in there, maybe think about putting those in a custom object and using a custom junction object to link them to opportunities?  I mean, if these things really qualify as products then fine, but don't try to put a square peg in a round hole – if you need a custom object don't hesitate to make one.

And yes, you may need a custom UI to help the user navigate through all this data.  Visualforce would be ideal for that.